adapted from Simply Recipes
- grilled tuna or salmon, about 16 oz; canned tuna or salmon is also fine
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 12 small red potatoes (about 2" in diameter, about 1-1/2 lbs. total), boiled until just tender, cooled under cold water, and then cut in quarters
- Boston or butter lettuce, enough for 6 people, leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3 small ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into eighths (or a comparable amount of cherry tomatoes)
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced thin into crescents
- 8 ounces green beans, steamed until just tender (I use the steam-in-bag type)
- olives (kalamata if you don't have nicoise)
- 2 cans of anchovies
- fresh pepper
- olive oil
- vinegar (I use balsamic)
Once all the ingredients are prepped, you can either put everything on a large serving platter, or you can make up individual plates. Lettuce goes on the bottom, and than place each of the ingredients through the anchovies on top of the lettuce, each in its own pile. Sprinkle on some fresh pepper and some capers, and then drizzle on olive oil and vinegar, as desired.
If you don't use up all the ingredients at one sitting, they will all be fine the next day as well, straight from the refrigerator.