Saturday, September 1, 2018

Whole-Grain Pancakes with Blueberries and Nuts

These are the best!  Having recently bought too many blueberries when the price was good, I had frozen a bunch. They're not as good when they're defrosted, but are great in these pancakes/waffles.  I made the pancakes first, which were delicious, but time-consuming. Next I made the waffles, even better, and easier to do--I can sit down and read the paper as each one cooks, instead of hovering over the stove watching the pancakes.  Either version freezes well. Pancakes can be reheated in the microwave. For waffles, I break them in half and put them in the toaster. I think I have to go downstairs now and make another batch. I may even make a double batch of the dry ingredients, so I have the makings of a second batch all ready to go next week.


whole-grain WAFFLES OR pancakes with blueberries and nuts
makes 9-10 waffles or 18-20 pancakes
adapted from https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019362-whole-grain-pancakes

1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup rolled oats (I used "old-fashioned" not quick)
1/2 t. kosher salt
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 cup plus 2 T. chopped nuts (chopped fairly small) I use pecans.

3 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
1 T. honey
2-1/4 cups buttermilk (or can use plain yogurt, not Greek) In order to get two batches out of one quart of buttermilk, I use 2 cups of buttermilk and 1/4 cup of whatever kind of plain yogurt I have on hand, Greek or not.

blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, no need to defrost first) (can substitute other fruit or chocolate chips)

Mix the dry ingredients (can be done the day before—or longer—and set aside)
In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (grouped together above).  I usually do this the day before, covering the bowl, so that I can make the waffles or pancakes more quickly in the morning.

Mix the wet ingredients
Mix together the buttermilk, eggs, canola oil, and honey. I start by putting the 2 cups of buttermilk in a 1-quart Pyrex measuring cup, add yogurt to bring it up to 2-1/4, put in the eggs, oil, and honey, and then mix everything with an immersion blender.

Mix together
Mix the egg mixture into the flour mixture until smooth. (I use an immersion blender to do the mixing.)

Make waffles
Preheat the waffle iron. Spray the bottom plate with Pam or equivalent. Spoon batter onto the waffle iron, as much as you would use for two pancakes.  Place some blueberries onto the batter.  Spray the top plate quite heavily. Close the waffle iron and cook until nicely browned. (In my waffle iron, this takes about 3 minutes.)  When you take out the cooked waffle, scrape out any berries that may have stuck to the plates. Repeat until all the batter is used up.

Make pancakes
Heat a frying pan and spray with Pam or use a little butter. Spoon batter into the pan to make as many pancakes as will fit in the pan. Cook until the underside is browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden on the other side, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate as they finish and serve with maple syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment