Sunday, September 18, 2011

Honeycrisp apples

No recipes this time, just a plug for Honeycrisp apples, which are now back in the store. This variety of apple was developed relatively recently, and supplies are still small enough that there is not enough to be sold throughout the year. I manage with Fuji, Red Delicious, and Granny Smith for the months they're not around, but nothing is better than Honeycrisp for being just what the name says--both sweet and crisp. Thanks to my friend Mary Beth, who suggested a couple of years ago that I try one that she had in her fruit bowl. . .

Well, I'll include one other food-related event. After eating curry the other day, I noticed a small orange-yellow stain on my best white blouse. I tried getting it out with soap and water, but I only succeeded in having the yellow migrate to other parts of the blouse. Bummer! I assumed the blouse was done for, but decided to take a look in a book I turn to from time to time: How to Clean Everything. I looked up turmeric, and got the answer--soak in ammonia. Not something I'd ever had recourse to, but it worked! I notice this book is selling for $.01 (plus shipping) on Amazon. There's also a more recent edition, that's going for $1.29.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up that Honeycrisp apples are back in the stores. Ever since you first recommended these, they have been my favorites! When Honeycrisps aren't available, I buy the small Red Delicious ones that come in a mesh bag because the bigger ones are often not crisp.

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a devoted fan of Honey Crisp apples too - After the peaches stop coming in, I have the apples to look forward to. I'm going to try the Apple Strudel recipe - sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete