Thursday, November 10, 2011

Roasted tomatoes


Warmer temperatures have lingered here, and I just recently stripped my tomato plants of all the partly-ripe and green tomatoes that remained.  I left them in a paper bag for a while, so about half ripened.  I've made roasted tomatoes for a couple of years now, introduced to the recipe by my friend Natania, but I hadn't tried using green tomatoes as well as red.  Great way to use up the green tomatoes, and a LOT easier than make fried green tomatoes.  I have not put in amounts for the ingredients as there is no need to be exact with this.

ROASTED TOMATOES
adapted from Mediterranean Light

  • a baking sheet or two full of Roma (or other) tomatoes, cut in half horizontally; can also be done in smaller amounts
  • olive oil spray (or regular olive oil)
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • minced garlic (or garlic powder if you're in a hurry)
  • fresh basil or parsley (or dried if you don't have fresh)
Heat oven to 325.  Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with oil.   Put tomatoes on baking sheet, cut sides up.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add garlic and herbs.  Spray with olive oil (or drizzle with oil).

Bake for 2-3 hours, until tomatoes collapse and begin to carmelize.  Serve hot or at room temperature.
These are so tasty and so easy to make that I alwyas bake at least a whole baking sheet full, sometimes two, and freeze what we don't eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment