Sunday, October 27, 2013

Cranberry Bread

Cranberry time is back at the grocery store. . .  I like cranberry nut bread, and usually make the recipe found on the Ocean Spray bag of cranberries, but thought I'd explore the web for other options.  One was to leave out the nuts and put in golden raisins instead.  What I've put below is an adaptation of the recipe on the bag, reducing the amount of nuts and adding in raisins.  I really like this variation--the raisins give a very nice texture and moistness to the bread.

Cranberry Bread
 2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1 cup sugar (I used about 3/4 cup)
1-1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 T. oil
1 egg, well beaten
1 t. orange zest (or 1/2 t. orange citrus oil, something I keep on hand for when I don't have fresh citrus  in the refrigerator)
3/4 c. orange juice (I used frozen, and it was fine)
1 c. golden raisins
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1-1/2 c. coarsely chopped cranberries

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray/grease one 9x5 loaf pan.
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Mix together egg, oil, orange peel/oil, orange juice; mix into dry ingredients.  Stir in raisins, nuts, and cranberries.

Pour into loaf pan and back for 55 minutes.  Let cool 5 minutes, remove from pan, and cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment