Thursday, February 19, 2015

Oven roasted potatoes (and vegetables)

OVEN-ROASTED POTATOES (AND VEGETABLES)


This is a very simple and flexible recipe, given to me by my friend Isabel.  She made it with potatoes only, which is what I did for a few years.  Then I realized you could add other vegetables too.  I've suggested the ones I usually put in; I'm sure others would work too--though you may have to stagger when you put them in if you use something like green beans.  I haven't given amounts, because any amount is fine.  I tend to make more than we will eat at one meal and either freeze the leftovers, or have them for lunch the next day.  You can also make these vegetables right along with a baked chicken, and then you have a whole meal, all ready at the same time. Or you can serve this as a main vegetarian dish, with a salad or soup on the side.

potatoes, with peel left on, washed and cut into chunks (about the size of a large walnut)
carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths
onions, peeled and quartered
salt
pepper
paprika
garlic powder
thyme (or fresh rosemary, if you happen to have it on hand)
olive oil


Preheat oven to 400.  Put vegetables in a large bowl.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika (generously), garlic powder, and thyme (generously).  Drizzle olive oil lightly over the vegetables and mix well--vegies should be just lightly coated.  Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet (or, for easier cleanup, line with aluminum foil and lightly grease that).  Pour vegies onto the baking sheet--they should be in just one layer so they get browned.   (When cooking a huge amount for a crowd, I've used two baking sheets.) Bake for about an hour, turning once during cooking if you think of it.  Vegetables are done when everything is nicely browned and cooked completely through.

1 comment:

  1. I've used parchment paper under the veggies instead of foil, and it works fine. I haven't figured out which is less expensive to use.

    ReplyDelete