Thursday, August 27, 2015

A Salad for the End of Summer


My friend Susan and I share many interests, one of which is food and cooking.  She has often introduced me to new cookbooks, going back to the Moosewood Cookbook in the late 70s.  She recently mentioned to me cookbooks by Ellie Krieger, someone I hadn't heard of.  I looked at one of her books in the library and then purchased a used copy of Weeknight Wonders: Healthy Dinners in 30 Minutes or Less.  I have been enjoying trying recipes from this book, and this salad is especially wonderful.  It's definitely seasonal though, so make it soon!  It's a great way to enjoy garden tomatoes and fresh peaches--a combination I had never tried before.  The recipe calls for arugula.  The first time I made it, I couldn't find any in the store, so made it without.  Tonight I made it with.  Excellent either way!  I was dubious about how little oil and vinegar was called for in the recipe, and I put cruets on the table thinking I would need more, but it was fine as is.


MOZARELLA, TOMATO, AND PEACH SALAD
adapted from Ellie Krieger, Weeknight Wonders: Healthy Dinners in 30 minutes or Less
serves 6

2 medium garden tomatoes, cored and cut into about 10 wedges
2 medium ripe peaches, halved, pitted, and cut into about 10 wedges
8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, part-skim, sliced into about 20 half-moon slices
1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced (a mandolin is helpful) and then cut in half
about 3 oz. baby arugula
1 T. plus 2 t. olive oil
1 T. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
handful of fresh basil, cut in largish pieces

Place a bed of arugula on a large platter.  Arrange the tomato, peach, and mozzarella wedges on top, alternating them.  Sprinkle the red onion over the top, and then the basil.  Drizzle the salad with the oil and vinegar and sprinkle on the salt and pepper.

(The original recipe called for constructing the salad on individual plates, but I found it easier to do it all on one platter.  The leftover salad was also good  on the second day.)





No comments:

Post a Comment