SALAD WITH FENNEL, BLUE CHEESE, AND TOASTED WALNUTS
adapted from WeightWatchers Simply Delicious
2 t. grated lemon zest (zest from one lemon)
1/3 c. fresh lemon juice (or part fresh, part frozen)
1/3 c. chicken or vegetable broth
2 T. canola or walnut oil
1 T. honey
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
2 heads Boston or Bibb lettuce (or substitute other lettuce if you prefer)
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and very thinly sliced
1/4 c. walnut pieces, toasted (pecans would also be nice)
1/2 c. finely sliced and cut-in-strips red onion
3 oz. blue cheese, either a block or a tub of crumbles (frozen, for easier crumbling)
1. Toast the walnut pieces. (I put in a 350F toaster oven for about 10 minutes.)
2. Cut out the central core of the head of lettuce. Separate the lettuce leaves, cutting out in a V-shape any remaining white part of stem end. Wash each leaf and let dry.
3. Make the dressing: combine the lemon zest, juice broth, oil, honey, and pepper in a small bowl.
4. Gently press the lettuce leaves to flatten slightly and stack about 5 leaves on each of 6 plates. Top with the fennel, walnuts, and red onion.
5. Take the blue cheese out of the freezer, and chop into a small crumble.
6. Just before serving, spoon the dressing over the salads and put the blue cheese on top.