Monday, February 21, 2011

Meatball Soup


MEATBALL SOUP
adapted from Cooking Classics, 1, 14 (1994)
serves 8

This recipe comes from a small booklet I hadn't looked at in years. The recipe gives instructions for making the meatballs, but I usually have use purchased frozen meatballs. Even though I rarely use "convenience" food in recipes, I have to say that this soup is delicious, even though I used frozen green beans as well as the prepared meatballs.  It is easy to make and is great comfort food.  Makes a full meal with some good bread and a salad.

Although I've always used meatballs, I think the soup would be fine with ground beef or turkey, cooked before adding to the soup. If using turkey, I'd change the broth to chicken.

4 cups beef broth
14-oz can of diced tomatoes, including the juice
1 8-oz can pizza sauce
3/4 to 1 lb. prepared meatballs (look in the grocery's freezer case)
1 medium onion, diced
1 15-1/2 oz can kidney beans, drained
2 cups sliced cabbage
2 medium carrots, sliced thinly
10-oz package frozen green beans (recipe called for Italian beans, which my store doesn't have, so I use French-style)

Heat broth, tomatoes, and pizza sauce in a 5-quart Dutch oven over high heat until boiling. Add meatballs, onion, beans, cabbage, and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add green beans; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes more.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a chili variant...I'll keep it in mind!

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete