Monday, April 27, 2020

Matzah pizza

I love that the name for this sounds so much like Machu Picchu. . .

I remember three favorite lunches from my childhood: Kraft dinner, Chef Boyardi ravioli, and English muffin pizza. I will admit to still having Kraft dinner from time to time, but the others have fallen away. This Passover, looking for something else to make with matzah for lunch one day, I hit on this--make pizza with matzah as the base instead of an English muffin. Actually, there was an intermediary step, which is that I've been doing this with pita bread. But pita bread is a bit of a hassle, having to cut it cross-wise into two pieces. The matzah makes this so easy that I will definitely have it outside of Passover as well! 

I've made this twice, with feta cheese and kalamata olives as the only toppings. So the other toppings on the ingredient list below are just things I happen to think would be good.

My mother's English muffin pizza was a little different: the muffin half, tomato sauce, then a slice of mozzarella cheese. Maybe she sprinkled a little oregano on top. I don't know why I've never made it that way myself.


MATZAH PIZZA
serves 2

two squares of matzah
about 6 oz. tomato sauce (canned or home-made)
shredded or crumbled cheese (mozarella, Monterey jack, feta, blue cheese)
whatever other toppings you would like to add, e.g.
            kalamata olives, halved
            anchovies
            sautéed mushrooms
            a handful of chopped kale or spinach
            roasted red peppers

Preheat broiler, putting rack about 8" below the heat.
Place the two squares of matzah on a rimmed baking sheet.
Spread tomato sauce over the matzah.
Add toppings, and then sprinkle on cheese.
Put under the broiler for about 5 minutes.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the memory of Mommy's English muffin pizza! I have a memory of coming home for lunch from elementary school in Bridgeport to have this at our Amsterdam Ave house. I can't bring up any memories of other lunch items, though... Can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we came home for lunch, but I don't remember what we had. I'm guessing it was usually sandwiches.

      Delete
  2. What was the Kraft dinner? My favorite was Kraft Spaghetti. The seasoning package was really good! We had open face English Muffin tuna melts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was Kraft macaroni and cheese--to me synonymous with "Kraft dinner" :-)

    ReplyDelete