Friday, May 8, 2020

Eggs with sautéed greens and mushrooms


I really enjoy having eggs for dinner every once in a while. I recently bought more kale than I needed for a soup I was making, so I looked in my files for an egg dish I vaguely remembered.  Here it is—definitely fits in the comfort food category. Served with a salad or a light soup, this is a very satisfying dinner. I think next time, I'll try it with a can of Campbell's tomato and rice soup. . .

EGGS WITH sautéEd greens AND MUSHROOMS
serves 2

2 T. olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 pound fresh chard or kale
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (small portabellos are nice)
freshly ground pepper
4 eggs (can substitute eggwhites for some of the eggs)

Put the chopped onions and the sliced mushrooms in a large bowl.

If using chard: cut out the center ribs of the chard leaves. Chop the ribs into 1/2-inch pieces and place in the bowl with onions and mushrooms. Cut the remaining chard leaves crosswise into 1" ribbons, and set aside.

If using kale, discard the ribs and chop the leaves into bite-size pieces. Set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick sauté pan on medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, and chard ribs (if using), toss to coat in oil, and cook for about 4-5 minutes.

Add the chard or kale leaves to the pan and mix all together. Sprinkle with pepper (and salt if desired). Cook until the leaves are wilted and ready to eat.

While the greens are cooking, fry the eggs in a separate pan, however you like them.  You can also cook the eggs right on top of the greens (covering the pan), but David likes runny yolks and I like them cooked all the way through, so it's easier to get them just how we like them by using a separate pan.

Put the greens mixture on a plate and top with two eggs for each person.

2 comments:

  1. Yum--this sounds like it would be yummy folded into an omelette or a frittata, too. I would have a slice of toasted french bread with some melted swiss cheese or gruyere on it to go with. Perfect brunch item. My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not an egg fan, but I will use this recipe (without the eggs) to make as the vegetable for a dinner menu!

    ReplyDelete