Thursday, March 25, 2021

Sheet-Pan Roasted Mushrooms and Spinach

This sheet-pan recipe is for vegetables only, but it makes a full meal with an addition of a simply cooked protein. I served this with a fried egg on top one night, and the next night served the leftovers with some pan-fried Aidell's chicken sausage. Both ways were very good, but I think I liked the egg best. Other suggestions were to serve it with salmon, chicken, steak, or wrapped in an omelet, and it would also work over rice or noodles.

The original recipe did not include red pepper, but I had one on hand, so I added it, and liked the addition. Another time I added a zucchini. Amounts are flexible. Simple recipe, delicious results, and great as leftovers, too! For example, I've used the leftovers inside an omelet, also delicious.

SHEET-PAN ROASTED MUSHROOMS AND SPINACH
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021960-sheet-pan-roasted-mushrooms-and-spinach
4 servings
  • 1 pound mushrooms (either regular or baby portabellas), trimmed and sliced about 1/4" thick
  • 3 small shallots, peeled and sliced vertically
  • 1 red pepper, sliced in strips, and then halved (optional)
  • 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
  • 2 T. olive oil, plus more as needed
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 8-10 oz. baby spinach (you can substitute kale, but add it after cooking other vegetables for about 10 minutes, and then continue to cook for another 8 minutes)

Heat oven to 425 degrees.

Toss together in a large bowl: the mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and 2 T. olive oil. Season with some freshly ground pepper. Put the mixture into a rimmed sheet pan, and spread out evenly.  Roast for about 15-20 minutes.

Take the sheet-pan out of the oven, and add in the spinach, drizzle with a little olive oil (maybe a tablespoon), and toss with the mushrooms. Roast until the spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes, turning once about half-way through. 

3 comments:

  1. Mouthwatering! I can especially taste salmon with it. I bet you could even lay Swai fillets over the spinach for the final cooking. Maybe dust the Swai with a little Old Bay Seasoning or curry powder. Yum--such a versatile side or entree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely try this! I'm a big fan of mushrooms and spinach together: recently my favorite pizza order has been bacon, mushrooms and spinach...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful. Like others I really enjoy spinach and mushrooms together.

    ReplyDelete