Monday, January 6, 2014

Very Easy Chicken (or Turkey) Casserole with Stuffing

I noticed this comfort-food dish on the blog of another quilter, and I had to try it.  My husband is the one who roasts the turkeys in our house, and he likes to make fancy stuffings.  They're nice, but my heart is still with packaged Pepperidge Farm stuffing, which is what my mother used.  (She did doctor it up some by adding sautéed onions and celery.)  I had never tried stove-top stuffing--that seems really low!  But I couldn't help myself--had to make this recipe.  I'm happy to report that it is extremely simple to make, and quite satisfying as comfort food.  It won't replace the chicken-rice casserole that is standard in our house, but I will definitely make it again.  Whenever we do have a turkey, I always cut up the leftovers and freeze in packets of 2-cups, so I can readily make up a casserole when I'm in the mood.

CHICKEN (or TURKEY) & STUFFING CASSEROLE
adapted from http://www.ewolfmeyerquilts.com/2013/11/osas-casserole.html

2 to 3 cups cooked chicken or turkey, cut into bite-size pieces
1 to 2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
1 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken)
1/4 c. milk (skim is fine)
a box of stovetop stuffing mix (corn bread or other types) [I used a version with cranberries, and thought it was nice]

Preheat oven to 325F.

In 8x8" (or round, of comparable size) casserole dish, put chicken/turkey chunks.  Layer peas on top.

Combine can of soup with about 1/4 cup milk and spread on top of chicken.

Prepare box of stove top stuffing mix as directed on package.  Spoon onto chicken/soup mixture.


Bake for about 35 minutes, until "bubbly."

2 comments:

  1. I'll pass on this one because I'd have to eat it all by myself. I tried a chicken stuffing casserole as the main dish for our 2012 Christmas dinner with 8 adults & 6 children, I was the only one who ate it!

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete